Friday 20 August 2010


Life Centre helps local mum

It was just another day for customer service adviser Janet Haynes when Ashton mum Amanda Smyth walked through the doors of the Life Centre in Platt Bridge to enquire about bettering her job prospects.

“When I came I found Janet to be very warm and welcoming,” says Amanda. “I told her my issues and she got me an appointment with the skills shop.”

The Life Centre team worked with Amanda to improve her CV and get her the training she needed. Amanda adds, “Being unemployed for two years I found the help they gave me really built up my confidence and I feel I learned a lot”.

Wigan Council’s Janet Haynes says: “The Life Centre is all about getting into the heart of the community, it’s about making services and information more accessible. We can help people with housing, health and environmental issues you can truly say that this is a one stop service station for your problems.”

Amanda called back into the Life Centre to tell Janet the great news that she had just accepted a new job as a nurse, which fits in perfectly with her family commitments.

The council’s champion for customers, Cllr Chris Ready, congratulated Amanda on her success. He says: “In the current climate it helps to have an all in one service to help people like Amanda with such issues as unemployment to improving your lifestyle. I’m delighted that the new Life Centres are making these things possible.”

Hindley/Abram Life centre has had over 800 enquiries since opened in the Spring. It is part of the Platt Bridge Community Health Centre on Rivington Avenue, and is open 9am-5pm Monday-Friday for more information visit the Wigan Life website www.wiganlife.com/lifecentres Local Life Centres are now open in Leigh Town Hall, Marsh Green Library and at Ince Bar, with the main town centre Wigan Life Centre, with swimming pool, library and gym, already well under construction.

No comments:

Post a Comment