Saturday 17 August 2013

Miniature railway is back on track at Haigh Hall



Miniature railway is back on track


16 August 2013

GET your engine running with a ride on Haigh Country Park’s restored miniature railway!



The vehicle, which has been out of operation for two years, is back in action thanks to the sterling efforts of rail enthusiast and engineer Derek Moss.

Derek, from Appley Bridge, said: “I’ve visited Haigh Country Park since I was knee high to a grasshopper and can remember when the miniature railway first opened back in the 1980s so this is something close to my heart.

“I’ve got the locomotive working and repaired enough of the track to allow me to offer a service between the two stations on site. I’m now hoping to continue work on the track so I can reopen as much of the complete loop as possible.”

Derek has worked closely with leisure and culture provider WLCT to develop the project, which is also supported by the Friends of Haigh Country Park.

Stuart Murray, Chief Executive at WLCT, said: “Derek has done a fantastic job in restoring the miniature railway and I’m delighted that it is running again. I’d encourage families to take a trip to Haigh Country Park during the summer holidays, have a go on the train and experience some of the other attractions we’ve got on site.”

Cllr Chris Ready, Cabinet member for leisure and culture, said: “It’s great to see the miniature railway come to life again. The train was always a popular feature and now a new generation of visitors can get on board to enjoy a ride through this beautiful country park.”

The miniature railway is open at weekends, during school holidays and on bank holidays between 11am-4pm. Cost is £1 per person.

No comments:

Post a Comment